Christmas is hands down my absolute favorite holiday. Second in importance only to Easter, I love everything about Christmas--celebrating the birth of Christ, the beautiful bright lights and the time spent with family and friends. That being said, I was girl chatting with an old friend the other day and she was a bit down because she can't be with her loved ones and will be spending Christmas alone.
She said she just didn't know what she would do with herself being away form her children and grandchildren. I hated to hear that as family is my whole world, BUT it did get me to thinking, what would I do if celebrating Christmas --party of one?Christmas is just a couple of days away, and even though it may not be your heart's desire to be alone, here some ideas to keep that holiday spirit.
1) Volunteer- If you can't be with your own family, why not lend a hand at your local Resource center, or church that may be hosting a dinner or drive of some kind. Non-profit organizations never have enough hands during the holiday season, so why not pitch in to make someone else's day brighter as well as your own?
2) Maintain Tradition-- Just because your family isn't with you doesn't mean you have to abandon log held traditions and celebrations. It' snot the same I know, but if you really LOVE the holiday--celebrate!! Trim your tree, decorate your space, even if it's a hotel room( travelers) , bake those cookies.
3) Christmas Day Parade-- Again, I get it you would rather attend such an event with your family, but if they can't be with you, carry on. Parades are so much fun, and you always end up making a new friend right away. Enjoy the festivities and keep your spirits up.
4) Spa Day- So you've got the entire day to yourself. If you don't feel like cooking, order in--draw yourself an indulgent bath( heck use the whole bottle), lather on a moisturizing face mask, turn up your tunes and just relax!!
Christmas is a time to reflect, celebrate and share your blessings with loved ones. Don't allow distance to change how you celebrate such a beautiful occasion. Whether you cook for friends, or order in alone--Jesus is the reason for the season, and we should all be grateful. Spread good tidings and joy, and most of all enjoy the holiday. Merry Christmas Angels ;0
(Pic not my own)
Babies after 40--a trend that's become far more common than it once was, but as any medical professional will tell you, the road to baby joy after 40( sometimes before) is risky and calls for extra measures such as IVF( Invitro Vertilization). I don't know a great deal about IVF, but with friends having undergone the process, I do know it is costly and emotionally taxing, which got me to thinking--are there any alternatives?
The short answer is absolutely yes. Determining which alternative will work for you is a completely different story. First, you would need to be thoroughly examined by your physician to determine the cause of your fertility challenges. Once that has been done, you can then inquire about possible alternative procedures that are less expensive and possibly less invasive.
Here are some options to consider;
1) Au Naturel--Depending on the condition, sometimes it's determined that a surgical procedure isn't at all needed, at all. In such cases, lifestyle changes such as acupuncture therapy, a change in diet, supplements such as Q10, and meditation are recommended.
2) Mini IVF- This is still IVF, and the biggest differences between a "regular" VF & a mini IVF is the amount of medications used and cost. Mini IVF is less expensive, uses fewer medications &has the primary goal is to stimulate the ovaries just enough for a few eggs.
3) Gift ( Gamete Intra-Fallopian Transfer)- Very similar to the standard IVF procedure, with the exception of how the eggs are fertilized. With GIFT, the egg/sperm matter is inserted directly into the Fallopian tubes via laparoscopy( reduced pain, smaller incision, shorter recovery)
4) TET( Tubal Embryo Transfer)- TET mirrors GIFT in procedure with the exception of time. TET embryos are also transferred into the Fallopian tubes BUT 48 hours after fertilization, when the embryo cells have already developed.
Again, there are so many varied reasons for infertility. Some issues require more medical attention than others, so working with your physician is paramount. Having a strong support system is equally as important. Fertility and reproduction is not a matter you want to tackle all by yourself. By no means is this a comprehensive list of all options and alternatives, rather some other procedures that aren't as commonly mentioned.
#IVF #Reproduction #Babies
Subscription boxes. One for beauty, one for the bookworm, here's even a box for the angel babies, but after ordering more than a few, I began to feel that there wasn't one geared towards ME. Let me explain. Sub boxes as I call them are a great time saver. I love'em. My first box was an Allure Beauty Box. One of the first things we all do is have a look at the retail price if the products to determine value, check to see how many full sized vs sample sizes and how many of the products you'll use.
Checking off these three boxes should be enough, but after awhile, that just didn't cut it. I'm a mid forties, Gen X, Lifestyle blogger. Yes, I still LOVE makeup and all the fun stuff, but at my age I want more quality and less fluff. In some boxes I've received, it seems there has been little thought into the "profile" that you complete, just a box of of items from the year before or items that didn't sell.
I took a bit of a break, and after the Summer's Eve X Boxy Charm collaboration( which was good) I began looking for a subscription box that spoke more to me as a Lifestyle lover( home, wellness, food etc.). I also wondered if there was a box that cared about women's causes--one that spoke to the entrepreneurial spirit of women, our health needs, and skincare items directly geared to women 40 and up. Well, I think I just may have found all that I desired. Two subs that caught my attention are Fab Fit Fun & Cause Box. I've never before now tried either box, but definitely liked what I read and saw. I started with FFF and should receive the winter box soon. I didn't necessarily love everything I saw from others that already received their box, but the quality seems exceptional and I'm looking forward to the surprise picks.
Fingers crossed the time taken to complete the profile/survey makes a difference, but I'm excited and can't wait to share. I'll keep you posted angels ;0
They say 40 is the new 20--actually 40 is 40 and so is everything after. Everyday is a gift and blessing, so I don;t dwell on the year or number, but the reality is our bodies, our faces, and hormonal balance do change after 40. I don't care for the term "anti-aging" because I'm all for aging--gracefully that is.
I have very oily skin( thank Heavens) but the products my 20 -something Goddaughter uses , don;t always address my beauty needs. So, for this balmy 30 degree weather we continue to enjoy, in no particular order, here are 7 of my must have beauty essentials, for fabulous divas over 40.
1) Moisturizer-- Yes I have oily skin, which is a great help, but to keep my skin supple and soft, I absolutely must have a moisturizer that works with my oily skin-not against it. A thick cream is great for other body parts, but not my face. My current two favorites are Cetaphil for day use, and Shea butter at night.
2) Saturate with Serum- Cold air is tortuous on the skin, especially when traveling by air, so I like to also use a good serum in addition to a moisturizer during colder months. Hands down Boots No.7 Protect and Perfect is a miracle worker. Their latest offering in the form of the face/neck sheet mask combo is so saturated ( but not sticky) that it contains an entire week's worth of product. Talk about value! I purchased my sheet mask from Walgreen's. Shop Walgreen's through www.Ebates.com with this code ANGEL7863 and get $10 cash!!
3) Conceal- Your eyes are truly the window t your soul and whether your issue is dark circles( tight here) puffy eyes, fine lines, or just lack of sleep--you want and need a powerful concealer. For the past year I've been using MasterCamo by Maybelline. The compact is purse &pocket friendly, but more importantly the product itself is so perfectly pigmented, providing excellent coverage that you can easily go without powder, or foundation.
4)Steam please!-- Moist heat does wonders for the face and full body. A portable face steamer to open my pores and break down toxins is an absolute must. A variety of styles, colors and prices from $20-$149 can easily be found at retailers such as Walmart.
5) Exfoliate- As we mature, so does our skin and our cells just don;t turn over as quickly as they once did. This isn't cause for concern, but the effect is that your complexion may look dull even when cleansed. The type of exfoliant you use depends largely on your skin type (i.e sensitive, oily, dry). I highly recommend the Glycolic Scrub by Vera Moore Cosmetics .veramoorecosmetics.com. In addition to being oily, my skin is also very sensitive, but this scrub-infused with Aloe--is very gentle and didn't irritate or cause my skin to break out.
6) Essential Oils( lots of them)- I can't stress enough the importance of keeping your skin hydrated( inside and out). For all over body care I prefer to use a trio of moisturizing body wash, body cream and body oil. My current body care obsession is hands down Skin so Soft Supreme Nourishment. This is not your grandma's Skin So soft. This newbie is an entire meal for your body. Starting with the rich, decadent, very creamy body wash, followed by the Supreme Nourishment lotion--which feels more like a body butter--and finishing with the Nourishment oil-a cocktail of Macadamia, Jojoba and Coconut oil.
If you live in a really cold climate or you fly often, trust me you WANT Skin So soft Supreme Nourishment by Avon in your bag, and it makes a great Christmas gift. Order here avon.com/myavon/angelsopinion. Receive a free gift w/any $50 purchase.
7) Bold Lip- I love a red lip, this i snot news for my regular readers. Some things I agree can be left behind as we mature, but a bright red lip is classic and timeless. If red just isn't your vibe, try the brightest shade of your favorite lipstick or gloss.