Everyday life provides most of us all the stress and depletion of energy one could ask for. Whether it's work, kids, extended family or illness, needless to say, finding energy for that second wind to complete your daily to do list is a challenge. As many of my regular readers are already aware, I like many others, suffer with chronic pain from an autoimmune disorder.
BY the end of the day, I am so exhausted I need toothpicks to hold my lids up. Unlike tired from a hard day at the office or from wrangling with little ones, chronic pain and specifically in my case-RA(Rheumatoid Arthritis) leaves me feeling somewhat useless. Over the past few years my symptoms have gotten worse, and this year especially has been really tough. I can't tell if I'm exhausted from the pain of joint damage and inflammation or just plan tired.
At the onset of this year, I teamed up with All Shape Up founder James Hesling in an effort to use food and daily, low impact exercise to help alleviate some of my pain. Did it work? Yes( thank you James) and no--my body many days just won't cooperate. If you have chronic pain from any condition, you can probably relate. Trying my best to use holistic methods of healing, I've taken note of what has and has not worked for me over the past 8 months. Here are my best tips thus far....
1. Rest pattern- Depending on the type of work you do, you may have to be in the office or on the clock at a specific time of day. Whatever your job may be, I have found that determining what arch of time you feel most rested is a big help. If you're a night owl, you must find time during the day to sleep. Forcing your body to rest when it doesn't want to will do you no favors in this battle. Trust me, I've already tried and failed miserably.
2. Allergens-Most of us are allergic to things, common items, that we may not even be aware of. This note ties into diet, but I've had to really take stock of not just what I digest and when, but even someof the household and skincare products I use daily. I noticed my body reacted differently than it once did to certain items. I'm not a doctor and not always clear on what's in some of these products, but if you notice any change in skin texture, appearance or the way you feel after consuming certain foods or using certain products--please, please consult your physician as soon as possible.
3. Exercise ( tailored for you)-- Most physicians will advise you that some type of exercise daily is good for your overall health. I agree, but where I think many of us , especially with health disorders go wrong, is we just may be over doing it. Working with James from All Shape UP has honestly provided more help than even he may realize. For those that don;t know, All Shape Up is a customized wellness program. Working one on one James was able to gather detailed information about my health concerns and help me formulate a guide, not a "you must do it just like this", but a framework of foods that may aid in fighting my inflammation and low impact exercise regimens that could help with my joint stiffness. Read more about James and All Shape Up here (www.allshapeup.com). Every exercise just does not work for everybody. Please consider what you enjoy doing and what is within your comfort level based on your current health. Fighting fatigue and battling RA is not about a size or a number. This is about preserving your health in the best way possible.
4. Meal plan--To piggy back a little off of number 3, I don't like the word diet, at least not in the traditional sense, of eating to gain or lose any weight. I say diet in terms of what based on your condition does your body need to fuel it. When James was creating my plan, what I like to eat was one of his first questions. From that consultation, he provided me some recipes, such as the "Flu-fighting" smoothie(blueberries--my fave). My resistance is naturally low, so this was something I could add into my daily eating and help take care of myself at the same time. Again, I urge anyone reading this piece, stop trying to fit into the same box as everyone else. Work with your healthcare professionals and listen to your body to determine what does and does not serve you well.
5. Mini-breaks- Most of us couldn't even fathom taking a nap midday. With kids, work and everything else, how can you? Well, as I have pushed through and literally run myself into the ground here of late, I am now paying the price. At the beginning of the year, I decided to listen to my body and if I needed to sit for an extra 10 minutes or postpone a meeting a day or so I did just that. When I took my own advice, I saw results and began to feel more energized. Somewhere along the way, I got wayyyyy off course and boy am I paying for it now. With RA and other autoimmune disorders, getting off track can be disastrous. Once your body begins fighting you so to speak, it takes a good while to recover and rebuild. How much so? It's taken me days just to copse these few paragraphs--literally. If you need a moment, let someone else wait. You can't take care of anyone else until you first take care of you.
I certainly hope something in this article will help you along your wellness journey. As I try my best to get back where I need to be, trust I'll be sharing my own journey with you every step of the way. Angel ;0
I don't think anyone loves a good road trip more than I do, but when you're in an 18 wheeler hours on end--even the glam sleeper-- luxuriating and feeling beautiful takes a bit of work. If you follow me on IG, you know that I recently had the pleasure of doing some traveling. The world of traveling by truck was a completely new experience for me, One product I picked up before hitting the open road was the new Caress shower foam. I needed something to toss in my bag that was somewhat compact, moisturizing and with a beautiful scent. Caress must have known in advance what I was looking for, because they checked every box.
Initially, I grabbed the Mediterranean Neroli and Green Tea from my local drug store. By the time we arrived at our first stop, I was tired and ready for a shower. When I tell you I felt as if I had been transported to some distant, exotic locale....my gracious this stuff smells divine!! Packaged in a simple white bottle, with a pump--lifesaver--I wasn't at all prepared for this one. One pump is really all you need, but if you're like me, you'll indulge in a few more just because. Silky smooth on the skin, this foam is intensely moisturizing and lightweight. Even better, it's so very affordable, under $10.
Using an exfoliating sponge, the lather just kept flowing. It was in a word intoxicating. Trust me, it was easy to forget I was in a truck stop lounge. I have been a friend of the Caress brand for many. many years and for me, this new shower foam is one of their very best products-ever. I liked it so much, I picked up another fabulous scent ( White Orchid & Coconut milk). I absolutely love this product and certainly hope to find the body spray, cream or something to keep that intoxicating vibe all day through. To view this amazing new product and all the wonderful products Caress has to offer, visit www.caress.us
A picture is worth a thousand words as the saying goes, and based on this photo of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, their love and affection leaves us all speechless. (pics not my own)
The always stylish Duchess , dressed in a timeless swing dress by Carolina Herrerra, planted a congratulatory kiss on the Duke of
Sussex at the annual Sentebale Polo Cup match. I absolutely love how affectionate these two are. Seeing happy couples is so romantic and keeps me believing in true love...but poor Nacho looks a bit lost in this photo. ;0
Duchess Megahn looked radiant and comfortable as it is very hot in London right now. Pairing her swing dress with a pair of nude Aquazzurra pumps and an elegant straw clutch from retailer J. Crew. Don't you just love a high-low mix? A little something for every budget. This look is classic, chic and thankfully, very easy to replicate.
A fan of fifties inspired fashion( so ladylike) I found a few similar options that are a bit more fitting to my style and personality. Have a look !
Millenial pink, Baby pink, mauve, blush--so many different names, all referring to the same beautiful shade. Like so many, I have loved this light pink shade since childhood. Problem is, I rarely wore it because I often found that the cool tones if this particular shade of pink --did nothing for my warm, honey hued skin tone. The wrong shade will leave you completely washed out and in the return line. I recently found shades that work for me and one brand that nails it to perfection is, Sachin & Babi (www.sachinandbabi.com)-which can be found at my beloved Neiman Marcus. I've culled the NM site and pulled together some beautiful pieces, that will carry you from now right into (www.neimanmarcus.com) fall. All pieces can be found on the Neiman Marcus website. Have a look!
Is there anything more calming than a hike in the mountains, state park or just a stroll through your local nature trail? If thee is, I can;t think of it. I've come to accept that I am in physical pain almost daily due to multiple Auto Immune disorders. Aside from tweaking my diet, and trying to stick to some semblance of an exercise regimen, those long walks do wonders for my body and my spirit.
We all know that fresh sir does a body good, but on my last excursion, I began to take note of some of the plants I saw on these walks--some of them I use on a daily basis.